Showing 111 results

Archival description
Buildings and Estates N/D Buildings
Print preview View:

Johnsons house

A collection of documents, chiefly photographs, of the day house Johnsons.
In 1972, the first purpose-built house for Day boys emerged to the west of the Ashburton Dining Hall. It was made of a large assembly hall-cum-classrooms, a study for the Housemaster, changing rooms with showers and a series of studies for the boys. It came into use in Spring term 1972. In 1973, the Day girls of Talbots House moved in upstairs of the Johnsons Day boys.

N/D

Haywoods house

A collection of documents, mostly photographs, of the boarding house Haywoods on Kilburn Road, next to Chapmans. This new house was named after Colonel Tom Haywood, former Trustee. The boys previously in residence in Deanscroft moved into their new house in September 1989.

N/D

Cricket pavilions

A collection of documents, including photographs and commemorative plaques, relating to the School's cricket pavilions on Doncaster Close since the 19th century.

L.R. Shipsides

Chapmans (The Junior House)

A collection of documents, including photographs and art works, of Chapmans, formerly Junior House, built in 1910. The Georgian-style house stood on a ground of one-and-a-half acres. It consisted of dormitories and classrooms facing south which were “well-lighted and ventilated”. The Junior House had been built initially in order to provide a well-equipped Junior Department for a limited number of boarders. In 1936, a new wing was added to the house, comprising a large dining hall, a leisure room, and a new sick room. Rooms were also designed for a House Tutor. The original house was improved, especially the kitchens where “all wash-basins were fitted with hot and cold water, and baths and lavatories were added”.
In September 1960, the Junior House was set to become a Senior House and was renamed Chapmans, after Frank Emerson Chapman, first Housemaster of the Junior House. In 1961, a wide new wing was built on what was the playground. The boys could now enjoy the comfort of new changing rooms, a common room and studies. Above, a dormitory accommodation and rooms for the House Tutor were also added. The old dining room was expanded into a former common room.

O.W.

Buchanans (Orchard Close)

A collection of documents, mostly photographs, of Buchanans house, formerly Orchard Close from the 1980s and 1990s.
Orchard Close had been built in 1929 by W.L. Sargant as a private residence along the cricket fields when he retired. Later, in July 1975 the Trustees acquired the house from the school doctor, Dr T.D. Brentnall. In early October 1975, Orchard Close had become a girls’ boarding house. The house was later modernised to accommodate Sixth and Seventh Form girls. It was renamed Buchanans House in Summer 1977, following the retirement of Headmaster J.D. Buchanan. Work was completed on Buchanans house in 1982. The extension was ready for occupation in January 1983 and was officially opened on 23 February by former Headmaster John Buchanan.

N/D

Barraclough garden

A collection of documents, mostly photographs, relating to the Chinses garden and heron sculpture in front of the Barraclough.

Brian and Elizabeth Nicholls

BAFS Pavilion (since 2014)

A collection of documents relating to the BAFS Pavilion, built on Doncaster Close, on the site of the original cricket pavilion. It was opened on 24 May 2014, on Speech Day, by Mike Gatting. It was named BAFS after O.O. Brian Smith (‘54), captain of the school’s unbeaten first Rugby XV, Hockey XI and Cricket XI teams.

N/D

Architectural Plan

  • BES-BES/1-BES/1/30-BES/1/30/2-BES/1/30/2/2-BES/1/30/2/2/26
  • Item
  • 01/03/1989
  • Part of Buildings and Estates

A draft plan of the layout of Science laboratory C1 in 1989.

N/D

Architectural Plan

  • BES-BES/1-BES/1/30-BES/1/30/2-BES/1/30/2/2-BES/1/30/2/2/27
  • Item
  • 01/03/1989
  • Part of Buildings and Estates

A draft plan of the layout of Science laboratory C1 in 1989.

N/D

Results 31 to 40 of 111