Showing 5120 results

Archival description
Oakham School
Print preview View:

Ephemera

  • HOU-HOU/16-HOU/16/3
  • Sub-Series
  • 1997 - 2000
  • Part of Houses

This sub-series relates to every day life in Hambleton house, as well as various house events held on evenings and weekends. Most of the sub-series is made of photographs of the first few years of the house, since its opening in 1997.

Oakham School

The Book of Oakham School with Register

A copy of "The Book of Oakham School with Register", on the school history written by Walter Lee Sargant and including the register from 1836 to 1906 edited by E.G. Pickering-Clarke and Rev H.A. Jerwood; belonged to Edward Jerwood (name written inside).

Oakham School

A register of Oakham School

A copy of the "Register of Oakham School, 1900-1950" compiled by E. Pickering-Clarke, owned by Rev Terence Treanor. With hand-written notes on the roll of honour.

Eric Francis Pickering-Clarke

Books

These items are personal copies of three books by John Buchanan, owned by Rev Terence Treanor.

John Buchanan

Operation Oakham

Rev Terence Treanor's copy of "Operation Oakham" by John Buchanan, with hand-written annotations.

John Buchanan

Buildings

This series is related to the buildings on the School campus and documents their history. Most of the collection is made of photographs and artwork, as well as architectural plans. Each sub-series focusses on a different building.

Oakham School

Deanscroft

A collection of documents, mainly photographs, of Deanscroft house.
Deanscroft in the 19th century was a Jacobethan hunting lodge. In 1946, the Headmaster, G. Talbot Griffiths, brought the property and aimed at converting it into a boarding house. The boys’ boarding house opened in 1948, providing accommodation to thirty-seven boys on the first term. In 1959, the kitchen garden to the east of the Laboratories was transformed into lawns, grassy plots and flower beds. The house was enlarged in 1960 and the buildings by the Headmaster’s garage were annexed as studies. IN the 1960s, the boiler house was enlarged to house two large oil-fired boilers which provided Deanscroft and Wharflands with all the hot water they need and supplied central heating to both houses and all the adjoining classrooms and laboratories. In 1963, a new study block was built near the present Biology Laboratories.
In 1978, Deanscroft was refurbished and the Headmaster and his family were now occupying one part of the house. Further enhancements were made to Deanscroft in 1981, especially to the changing rooms and the ground floor accommodation. A new wing was added in 1983, with bedsits for the boys and a Tutor’s room, as well as study bedrooms for thirty-six boys in the Fifth and Sixth Forms. On Deasncroft lawn, a new fence was put up between the Headmaster’s garden and the boys’ tennis court in 1985 and Deanscroft Cottage was dismantled in summer before work began in October on the new Dining Hall. The Nursery School and Beach studies were also demolished. Finally in 1989, the Beach was paved and in the centre would be a Japanese gardens with herons in the pond. Deanscroft boarding house was closed on Speech Day 1989, prior to its conversion into Stevens, a boarding house for girls.

Photo-Reportage Ltd

Music School

A collection of photographs and architectural plans of the Music School since its opening in 1984.

Roger Blackmore

Fancy dressing

  • HOU-HOU/3-HOU/3/2-HOU/3/2/3-HOU/3/2/3/4
  • Sub-File
  • c.2012
  • Part of Houses

This sub-file contains photographs of a Round House fancy dress event in 2012.

Oakham School

Round House

  • HOU-HOU/3
  • Series
  • 1972 - 2018
  • Part of Houses

This series focuses on Round House pupils and staff since its opening in 1972 as the first purpose-built girls' boarding house. Most of the series is made of photographs, house photographs as well as more informal photographs focussing on house events.

Brian and Elizabeth Nicholls

Results 4761 to 4770 of 5120