Print preview Close

Showing 75 results

Archival description
Roger Blackmore
Print preview View:


This series is related to the buildings on the School campus and documents their history. Most of the collection is made of photographs and artwork, as well as architectural plans. Each sub-series focusses on a different building.

Oakham School


  • SPO
  • Subfonds
  • 1860 - 2020

This collection covers the multitude of sports that pupils can do at Oakham School. Sports include cricket, rugby, hockey, athletics, netball and swimming as some of the richest in terms of items in the sub-series.

Most sub-series have a good photographic record of first teams, alongside comprehensive fixture and team lists. Some sub-series will contain correspondence, programmes and administrative documents.

There is an extensive collection of trophies and shields awarded to pupils and Old Oakhamians for their sporting achievements.

Oakham School

School Campus

A collection of photographs and art work relating to the whole School Campus, in particular aerial photographs from 1937 of the School and the town, and a file of individual photographs of buildings around the campus. The oldest items in this sub-series date back to the 19th century.

Aerofilms Ltd


This file focusses on photographs on the School Campus throughout the years. Some photographs are of the whole campus, in particular aerial photographs taken by Aerofilms Ltd, and some are collection of individual buildings, taken by Companies or individuals.

Aerofilms Ltd

Photographic and Art Collection

  • PHA
  • Subfonds
  • 1926 - 2016

A collection of photographs and artworks of the school campus and buildings, and pupils and staff.

There is one series dedicated to a large collection of photographic negatives which show the campus, daily life at school, and special events. These cover the period 1978 - 1988.

One series focus on the frescoes painted by Mary Sargant Florence in Old School and is rich in research about the frescoes and the artist.

Oakham School


  • CHA-CHA/5
  • Series
  • 1930 - 1993
  • Part of Chapel

This series focuses on the history of the organs in the School Chapel, from the first one installed in 1930 to the current instruments built in 1993.

Brian and Elizabeth Nicholls

Cricket pavilions

A collection of documents, including photographs and commemorative plaques, relating to the School's cricket pavilions on Doncaster Close since the 19th century.

L.R. Shipsides

Hodge Wing

  • HOU-HOU/2
  • Series
  • 1948 - 1969
  • Part of Houses

This series relates to Hodge Wing, the pupils and staff and the history of the building. The series focuses on the early years as a boys' house.
Hodge Wing was a Boys’ day house, for Lower and Middle School. It became a girls’ house in the Winter term 1975, until the Spring term 1980 when the girls moved to Rushebrookes. Then it was re-opened for a small number of Seventh form girls in 1986.

Heawood & Son


  • HOU-HOU/10
  • Series
  • 1948 - 2017
  • Part of Houses

This series focuses on the boarding boys in Deanscroft, since its opening in 1948. The Headmaster himself was Housemaster, until 1971. Deanscroft boarding house was closed on Speech Day 1989, prior to its conversion into Stevens, a boarding house for girls. The boarding boys were moved to the newly built Haywoods House on Kilburn Road. The items include the complete set of house photographs and informal photographs showing boys around the house and on campus, as well as duty records.

Brian and Elizabeth Nicholls

House Photographs

  • HOU-HOU/10-HOU/10/1
  • Sub-Series
  • 1948 - 1988
  • Part of Houses

This sub-series contains photographs of the boys in Deanscroft. It covers the whole history of the boarding since its inception in 1948, up to 1988 when the boys were transfered to the new Haywoods house.

Brian and Elizabeth Nicholls

Results 1 to 10 of 75